loading...

Kanye West files $10 million lawsuit over canceled Saint Pablo tour USA News Today

loading...

Kanye West files $10 million lawsuit over canceled Saint Pablo tour USA News Today

Kanye West‘s representatives have filed a lawsuit seeking $10 million that insurers didn’t pay after he canceled his Saint Pablo tour last year.

The suit, filed by Very Good Touring against several Lloyd’s of London insurance syndicates, alleges breach of contract and seeks punitive damages and attorney fees beyond the $9.8 million in concert losses, the Associated Press reports.

West canceled a number of concert appearances last year. He missed a few dates after his wife, Kim Kardashian West, was robbed in Paris, then called off the remainder of his tour after he was admitted for undisclosed reasons to UCLA Neuropsychiatric Hospital on Nov. 21, 2016.

The lawsuit states that the insurance company has failed to pay up, citing possible marijuana use as a reason to deny the claim, according to court documents obtained by The Hollywood Reporter, which first reported the news.

“Nor have they provided anything approaching a coherent explanation about why they have not paid, or any indication if they will ever pay or even make a coverage decision, implying that Kanye’s use of marijuana may provide them with a basis to deny the claim and retain the hundreds of thousands of dollars in insurance premiums paid by Very Good,” The Hollywood Reporter wrote, citing court papers.

West raised eyebrows at his November concert in San Jose, Calif., when he told the crowd that he didn’t vote in the presidential election, but he “would’ve voted for Trump.”

He applauded Trump’s campaign approach as “absolutely genius” and confirmed that he was still considering a presidential run in 2020.

During a Sacramento show two nights later, Kanye ranted about Beyoncé, Jay Z, Hillary Clinton, Mark Zuckerberg and radio stations. West ended the show after 30 minutes, drawing ire from many fans in attendance and on social media.

West’s lawsuit addresses the Sacramento concert, according to The Hollywood Reporter, noting his “strained, confused and erratic” behavior, as well as the decision made the following day to cancel the remainder of the tour and issue full refunds for tickets.

The insurance companies were informed that Kayne was hospitalized. The Hollywood Reporter says insurers were provided with sworn testimony from his primary physician that West suffered a debilitating medical condition that required he stop the tour.

Autoplay

Show Thumbnails

Show Captions

“Almost immediately after the claim was submitted, Defendants selected legal counsel to oversee the adjustment of the claim, instead of the more normal approach of retaining a non-lawyer insurance adjuster,” The Hollywood Reporter quotes from West’s complaint. “Immediately turning to legal counsel made it clear that Defendants’ goal was to hunt for any ostensible excuse, no matter how fanciful, to deny coverage or to maneuver themselves into a position of trying to negotiate a discount on the loss payment.”

An after-hours message left for Lloyd’s of London’s New York office was not immediately returned.

Contributing: The Associated Press

Read or Share this story: https://usat.ly/2wjvZ2D

Kanye West files $10 million lawsuit over canceled Saint Pablo tour USA News Today

Source link

Kanye West files $10 million lawsuit over canceled Saint Pablo tour USA News Today

545

loading...
author

Author: 

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!